This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts. Some units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
A large river which rises in Bhutan, and at the point where it debouches on the plains forms the boundary between the Districts of Goalpara in Assam and Jalpaigur! in Eastern Bengal. It then flows along the western boundary of the Ripu Duar, and at Maktaigaon divides into two branches. The western arm retains the name of the original river, and, after flowing through Jalpaigurl and Cooch Behar, rejoins the eastern branch, which is called the Gangadhar, near Patamari. The combined stream is then known as the Dudh- kumar and falls into the Brahmaputra below Dhubri. For the greater part of its course it flows through jungle land ; but it serves as a trade route, down which timber, thatching grass, and other forest products are brought. The river is nowhere bridged in Goalpara, but is crossed by ten ferries. The total length is about 200 miles.