This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts. Some units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Village and ruins in the head-quarters subdivision of Dacca District, Eastern Bengal and Assam, situated in 23 51' N. and 90 15' E., on the east bank of the Bansi river. Population (1901), 1,904. It was formeily the capital of a Bhuiya or chief named Hans Chandra, but the only vestiges of it are rums of buildings and old tanks and the remains of what must have been a tower. Sabhar is now an important mart.