This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts. Some units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Township in Sagaing District, Upper Burma, lying along the northern bank of the Irrawaddy, between 21° 49' and 22° 10' N. and 25° 21' and 94° 41' E., with an area of 286 square miles. It contains no high ground, and away from the Irra- waddy and Mu the country is very dry. The population was 39,386 in 1891, and 41,256 in 1901, distributed in 86 villages, the head- quarters being at Myinmu (population, 3,368), on the river bank close to the Sagaing-Alon railway, 30 miles west of Sagaing town.
The town- ship contains a number of large villages : two (besides Myinmu) with a population exceeding 2,000, Allagappa (3,795) and Wunbye (2,o49\ and six with a population of between 1,000 and 2,000. Along the Irrawaddy are several swamps which are used for irrigation, and are themselves cultivated as they dry up. The area cultivated in 1903-4 was 120 square miles, and the land revenue and thathameda amounted to Rs. 1,09,000.