This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts. Some units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Head-quarters of the township of the same name in Tharrawaddy District, Lower Burma, situated in 17° 47' N. and 95° 45' E., on the railway, 77 miles from Rangoon, and about 8 miles due north of the District head-quarters. Population (1901), 8,772. It was constituted a municipality in 1894. The receipts and expenditure of the municipal fund to the end of 1 900-1 averaged Rs. 23,000. In 1903-4 the receipts and expenditure amounted to Rs. 35,000 and Rs. 38,000 respectively. The chief sources of income were house and land tax (Rs. 4,500), and tolls on markets and slaughter-houses (Rs. 20,300) ; and the principal items of expenditure were conservancy (Rs. 4,300), hospitals (Rs. 4,800), and roads (Rs. 5,000). The town contains an Anglo-vernacular school main- tained by subscriptions, under the management of a local committee, and a municipal hospital. It is an important centre of the paddy trade. The Bassein railway joins the main line from Prome to Rangoon at Letpadan station.