This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts. Some units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Township of Henzada District, Lower Burma, lying between 17° 24' and 17° 47' N. and 94° 54' and 95° 18' E., with an area of 438 square miles. The greater part lies between the Arakan Yoma and the Ngawun river, and is quite unpro- tected from the rise of the river during the rains. The smaller portion, east of the Ngawun, is protected by embankments. The population increased from 57,049 in 1891 to 60,314 in 1901, almost entirely Burmans, Karens numbering only 3,000. There are 354 vil- lages and one town, Lemyethna (population, 5,813), the head- quarters. The area cultivated in 1903-4 was 89 square miles, paying Rs. 1,33,000 land revenue.