This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts. Some units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Head-quarters of the township of the same name in Henzada District, Lower Burma, situated in 1 7° 36' N. and 95° 11' E., on the Bassein river, near the south-west corner of the District. Population (1901), 5,813. Its affairs are managed by a town committee. The income and expenditure of the town fund in 1903-4 amounted to Rs. 10,000 and Rs. 11,000 respectively. The civil hospital, supported by local funds, has accommodation for 8 in-patients.