This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts. Some units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Central township of Minbu District, Upper Burma, lying in the Mon valley, between 20° 9' and 20° 29' N. and 94° 26' and 94° 48 E., with an area of 533 square miles. The population was 35,895 in 1891, and 36,397 in 1901, distributed in 146 villages, Legaing (population, 2,787), a village about 15 miles north-west of Minbu, being the head-quarters. A large tract of the township, which is undulating and dry, will be irrigated by the Mon canals now under construction. The area cultivated in 1903-4 was 70 square miles, and the land revenue and thathameda amounted to Rs. 1,15,000.