This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts. Some units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
(Burmese, Kyaukku). — Small State in the Myelat division of the Southern Shan States, Burma, lying between 20*^ 51 and 21° 2' N. and 96° 29' and 96° 40' E., with an area of 94 square miles. It is bounded on the north and west by Yengan, on the east by Pangtara, and on the south by Kyong. The State is ver)- hilly, especially towards the east, and the Panlaung river rises within its borders. Rice is the staple crop, and the total cultivated area is about 1,000 acres. The population in 1901 was 4.771 (distributed in 33 villages), of whom nearly 3,000 were Danus, about 1,400 Taungthus, and the rest Shans and Palaungs. The residence of the Ng^vegunhmu is at Myinkyado (population, 354). The revenue in 1904-5 amounted to Rs, 3,900 (mainly from ihathameda), and the tribute to the British Government is Rs. 2,000.