This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts. Some units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Northern township of Akyab District, Lower Burma, K"ing between 20° 35' and 21° 13' X. and 92° 50' and 93° 16' E., and bordering on the District of Northern Arakan, \vith an area of 370 square miles. The population was 45,186 in 1891, and 53,303 in 1 90 1. There are 312 villages. The township is for the most part level, and is traversed from north to south by the Kaladan river, on the banks of which Kyauktaw, the head-quarters (population, 2,303), stands. The area cultivated in 1903-4 was 116 square miles, paying Rs. 1.40.000 land revenue.