This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts. Some units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Coast township of Kyaukpyu District, Lower Burma, lying between 19° 5' and 19° 38' N. and 93** 30' and 93° 56' E., with an area of 416 square miles. It consists for the most part of the north-western half of the island of Ramree. The population in 1901 was 42,424, a total only 408 greater than it had been at the preceding (1891) enumeration. It contains one town, Kyaukpyu (population, 3,145), the head-quarters of the District and township; and 272 villages. In 1903-4 the area cultivated was 54 square miles, paying Rs. 51,000 land revenue.