This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts. Some units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Head-quarters of the township of the same name in Henzada District, Lower Burma, situated in 18° 20' N. and 95° 17' E., on the west (right) bank of the Irrawaddy in the north of the District. Population (1901), 7,1 13; it has decreased in the last decade, apparently on account of emigration to the richer delta areas farther south. The town is, however, still fairly prosperous and has a considerable trade in rice. Kyangin was constituted a munici- pality in 1886. The municipal income and expenditure during the ten years ending 1901 averaged Rs. 12,300 and Rs. 12,500 respectively. In 1903-4 the income was Rs. 17,000, including Rs. 9,500 from dues on markets and slaughter-houses, and Rs. 2,600 from house tax ; and the expenditure was Rs. 16,000, of which Rs. 5,300 was spent on conservancy, Rs. 1,500 on roads, and Rs. 900 on the town dispensary. The municipality iDaintains an Anglo-vernacular school, and contributed Rs. 2,000 towards its upkeep in 1903-4. The dispensary is supported entirely by municipal funds. A railway con- necting the town with Henzada has been sanctioned, and is at present in course of construction.