This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts. Some units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Head-quarters of the subdivision and township of the same name, in the north-west corner of Thaton District, Lower Burma, situated in 17° 18' N. and 97° \' E., on the Kadat river. It stands at the foot of the hills, on the edge of the flat country which stretches southwards to the Gulf of Martaban, and on the Sittang- Kyaikto Canal, which connects the town with the Sittang, and thus with Pegu and Rangoon, bringing it within a twelve hours' journey of the Provincial capital. Kyaikto is a flourishing trade centre, and its population in 1901 (6,637) was nearly double that of twenty years before. The town was constituted a municipality in 1889. The income and expenditure during the ten years ending 1901 averaged Rs. 16,500 and Rs. 17,400 respectively. In 1903-4 the income was Rs. 20,300 (markets, &c., Rs. 12,100; house tax, Rs. 3,900). The expenditure in the same year amounted to Rs. 22,000 (hospitals and conservancy, Rs. 3,300 each). The municipal hospital has accom- modation for 16 in-patients.