Kindat Township, 1908
Central township of the Upper Chindwin District, Upper Burma, stretching across the Chindwin river from the Yoma in the west to Shwebo District in the east, between 23 degree 25' and 23 degree 58' N. and 94 degree 18' and 95 degree 2' E., with an area of 1,715 square miles. It is covered with forest, thinly populated, and, except in the immediate neighbourhood of the Chindwin, hilly. The population was 11,429 in 1891, and 13,946 in 1901, distributed in 117 villages and one town, Kindat (population, 2,417), the head-quarters. The area culti- vated in 1903-4 was 21 square miles, and the land revenue and thatha- meda amounted to Rs. 42,000.
This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts. Some units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.