This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts. Some units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Head-quarters of the District of the same name in Upper Burma, situated in 24 degree 10' N. and 96 degree 21 E., close to the edge of the hills on the right bank of the Irrawaddy ; 70 miles below Bhamo, and nearly 200 above Mandalay. Population (1901), 2,931. The town is unimportant historically, and has only come into prominence since the advent of the British. It contains a bazar and the usual public buildings, and is laid out along five principal roads running north and south parallel with the river, covering an area about half a mile long and a quarter broad. The houses in the native quarter are for the most part unpretentious. A branch line, taking off from the Sagaing- Myitkyina railway at Naba Junction (15 miles in length), terminates on the river bank close to the courthouse, giving easy access to the steam ferry to Bhamo and the boats of the Irrawaddy Flotilla Company plying between that station and Mandalay. The town contains a civil hospital with 23 beds, maintained by Provincial funds. Katha is one of the District head-quarters in Burma which have not yet been constituted municipalities.