This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts. Some units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
North-eastern township of Shwebo District, Upper Burma, lying between the Mu and the Irrawaddy rivers, between 22 degree 51' and 23 degree 44' N. and 95 degree 22' and 96 degree 1' E., with an area of 1,636 square miles. The country is dry and flat, and only the south-western corner is at all thickly populated. The population was 31,872 in 1891, and 44,783 in 1901, distributed in 259 villages, Kanbalu (population, 1,003), on the railway, being the head-quarters. The area cultivated in 1903-4 was 132 square miles, and the land revenue and thathameda amounted to Rs. 64,300.