This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts. Some units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Northern township ol Henzada District, Lower Burma, lying between 17 degree 54' and 18 degree 19' N. and 94 degree 48' and 95° 31' E., with an area of 615 square miles. The population increased from 79,499 in 1891 to 92,365 in 1901, the density being 150 persons per square mile. The township extends from the Arakan Yoma in the west to the Irrawaddy, widening as it approaches the river. About one-third is uncultivable, being covered by the spurs of the Yoma. The lands in the western part are protected by embankments and fertile. The population consists almost entirely of Burmans, Karens, and Chins, in the proportions of 92, 6, and 1 ½ per 100. There are 428 villages and one town, Myanaung (population, 6,351). Kanaung (891) is the head-quarters. The area cultivated in 1903-4 was 149 square miles, paying Rs. 2,25,000 land revenue.