This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts. Some units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Southern township of the Upper Chindwin District, Upper Burma, lying on either side of the Chindwin river, between 23 degree 1' and 23 degree 17' N. and 94 degree 14' and 94 degree 30' E., with an area of 184 square miles, nearly the whole being a mass of low hills. The population in 1901 was 3,535, distributed in 36 villages. The head-quarters are at Kalewa (population, 1,036), situated at the junction of the Myittha and Chindwin rivers, about 40 miles below Kindat. The area cultivated in 1903-4 was 11 square miles, and the land revenue and thathameda amounted to Rs. 10,000. The township was formed after the Census of 1901.