This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts. Some units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
A collection of seven small Shan principalities, lying approximately between 27° and 28° N. and 97° and 98° E., north of Myitkyina District, Upper Burma, and east of the north-east corner of Assam. Their area is about 900 square miles and their population about 11,000 ; but these are only approximations, for, though nominally under the supervision of the Commissioner of the Mandalay Division, Hkamti Long is beyond the ' administrative ' border of the Province, and has not yet been brought under direct control. Portions of it have, however, been ascertained to be fertile and fairly populous. It is watered by the Malikha. The tract was formerly an outlying district of the Shan kingdom of Mogaung, and a considerable portion of its inhabitants are still Shans 3 but the Shan population has of late been hemmed in, owing to the pressure of the Kachins and other hill tribes. It was visited by Colonels Macgregor and Woodthorpe in 1884-5, t>y Mr. Errol Gray in 1 892-3, and by Prince Henry of Orleans in 1893.