This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts. Some units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
North-eastern township of the Lower Chindwin District, Upper Burma, lying on the east of the Chindwin river, between 22° 14' and 22° 37 N. and 94° 56' and 95^35 E., with an area of 451 square miles. The population was 50,847 in 1891, and 55,447 in 1901, distributed in 196 villages. Budalin (population, 2,577), an inland village, 20 miles due north of Monywa, is the head-quarters. The township lies on an elevated plain, and is not well watered ; but rice, Jowar, sesamum, and peas are grown. The area cultivated in 1903-4 was 182 square miles, and the land revenue and thathameda amounted to Rs. 1,20,800.