This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts. Some units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Capital of the Las Bela State, Baluchistan, and residence of the Jam, situated in 26° 14' N. and 66° 19' E. It lies near the apex of the Las Bela plain, 3/2 miles from the Porali river and 116 miles from Karachi. Population (1901), 4,183. The majority were State servants, but 356 Hindus were included. The town is not walled and consists of 400 or 500 huts. The Jam's residence, a tahsili, a treasury, a jail, and lines for the military police are the principal buildings. The ancient name of the town was Armael or Armabel. Sir Robert Sandeman died at Bela in 1892, and was buried on the south of the town. His tomb, of granite and white English marble, is placed beneath a dome erected by the Jam, and is surrounded by a garden. A small establishment is maintained in the town for purposes of conservancy. Cotton cloth and rice constitute the principal imports ; oilseeds, ghi, and wool the exports. Bela crochet-work is well-known,