This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Tahsil in the south-east of Loralai District, Baluchi- stan, lying between 29° 37' and 30° 21' N. and 69° 3' and 70° 4' E., and bordering the Punjab, with an area of 1,317 square miles. The population in 1901 was 14,922, an increase of 4,276 on the rough estimate made in 1891. The head-quarters station, which bears the same name as the tahsil, is about 3,650 feet above sea-level. The number of villages is 114. The land revenue in 1903-4 amounted to Rs. 47,000. The frequent existence of occupancy rights is a special feature of the tenures of the tahs'il. In the Leghari-Barkhan circle, one-third of the revenue levied is paid to the Leghari chief as superior proprietor of the soil, and he holds a revenue-free grant up to 1907. Barkhan rugs are well-known, but have recently deteriorated in quality.