This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
South-western tahsil of Gorakhpur District, United Provinces, comprising the parganas of Bhauapar, Unaula, Dhuriapar, and Chillupar, and lying between 26 14' and 26 43' N. and 83 4' and 83 44' E., with an area of 614 square miles. Popu- lation fell from 451,606 in 1891 to 438,364 in 1901. There are 1,667 villages and four towns, of which Barhalganj (population, 5,181) and Bansgaon (5,034), the tahsil head-quarters, are the largest.
The demand for land revenue in 1903-4 was Rs. 3,59,000, and for cesses Rs. 72,000. In 1904 the tahsil was reduced from the limits described above by the transfer of 115 villages with an area of 52 square miles, which lay south of the Gogra, to Azamgarh District. The land revenue and cesses due from these villages amounted to Rs. 18,000 and Rs. 3,000 respectively. The density of population, 714 persons per square mile, is above the District average. Bansgaon is bounded on the north by the Ami river, on the south by the Gogra, and on the east by the Raptl. After heavy rains a considerable area near the Ami and Raptl is flooded, owing to the inability of the rivers to carry off the drainage. The Kuwana flows across the south-west corner. The area under cultivation in 1903-4 was 429 square miles, of which 199 were irrigated. Wells supply about a quarter of the irrigated area, and tanks, swamps, and small streams the remainder.