Bagherhat Subdivision, 1908
This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Eastern subdivision of Khulna District, Bengal, lying between 2 1° 44/ and 22 59' N. and 89 32' and 89 58' E., with an area of 679 square miles. The north of the subdivision is low- lying and contains numerous swamps, but the country is more open and there is less jungle than in the Satkhira subdivision. To the south the country merges in the Sundarbans, where the land is being steadily reclaimed. The population in 1901 was 363,041, compared with 340,559 in 1891, the density being 535 persons per square mile. The subdivision contains 1,045 villages, but no town. Its head-quarters are at Bagherhat, a place containing several antiquities of interest. The chief trade centres are Morrelganj and Kachua.