This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Head-quarters of the Taluka of the same name in Hyderabad District, Sind, Bombay, situated in 24°38 / N. and 68° 54' E., 62 miles from Hyderabad city and 41 from Tando Muhammad Khan. Population (1901), 2,076. The Hindus are principally shopkeepers and the Muhammadans agriculturists and weavers. Badin was founded about 1750 by a Hindu named Sawalo. The old town (on the opposite bank of the Mirwah canal) was totally destroyed by Shah Nasirdin, otherwise Madad Khan, the famous Pathan, in his raid into Sind. There is a large local trade in grain, gfu, sugar, molasses, cloths, metals, tobacco, skins, cotton and drugs, with an annual fair in June, lasting a fortnight. The village contains a dispensary.