This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Badrpur Village in the Karimganj subdivision of Sylhet District, Eastern Bengal and Assam, situated in 24 51' N. and 92 33' E., on the south bank of the Barak close to the boundary of Cachar. When the Burmese invaded Cachar in 1824, the British troops met and defeated them near this spot. The remains of an old fort are still to be seen on a rock overhanging the river. Badarpur is now an important junction on the Assam-Bengal Railway. The main line crosses the Barak by a fine bridge 454 yards long, which is raised sufficiently high above the river to admit of the passage of steamers at all seasons of the year. A branch line runs along the south bank of the river to Silchar. There is a temple of Siddheswar in the neighbour- hood, at which. a bathing fair is held every year in Mareh.