Attock Tahsil, 1908
This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Tahsil of Attock District, Punjab, lying between 33 38' and 34 o' N. and 72 7' and 72 50' E., with an area of 651 square miles. The Indus bounds it on the north-west, dividing it from the North-West Frontier Province, while the Haro flows through from east to west. The north-west corner is occupied by the fertile Chach plain. South of this lies a dry sandy plain, beyond which rises the Kala-Chitta range. The eastern half consists of the tract known as the Nala, which includes, along with a number of low hills and much broken country, a considerable area of fairly good level land, portions of which are irrigated from wells and by cuts from the Haro and other smaller streams. The population in 1901 was 150,550, compared with 141,063 in 1 89 1. It contains the towns of Attock (population 2,822), its present head-quarters, Hazro (9,799), the cantonment of Campbellpore (5,036), the head-quarters of the District; and 191 villages. The land revenue and cesses amounted in 1903-4 to 1-9 lakhs. Hassan Abdal is a place of historical interest.