This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Head-quarters of the Tiruchuli tahsil of the Ram- nad estate, in Madura District, Madras, situated in 9 31/ N. and 78 6' E. Population (1901), 23,633. It is a thriving place and its population has doubled in the last twenty years ; but it suffers from lack of communications, being 13 miles distant from Virudupatti, the nearest railway station. The inhabitants consist chiefly of Sedans, who are weavers, and of Shanans, an enterprising community in commercial matters, who have brought the town to its flourishing condition. The place has at present to support a force of punitive police, owing to the recent disturbances caused by the claims of the people of the latter caste, which is reckoned low in the social scale, to enter Hindu places of worship. The chief industries are cotton-weaving and dyeing. The fabrics made here are exported to Colombo, Singapore, and Penang.