This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Northern taluk of Hassan District, Mysore, lying between 13 5 r and 13 ^3 N. and 76 2' and 76 26' E., with an area of 486 square miles. The population in 1901 was 79,588, compared with 65,306 in 1891. The taluk contains three towns, Arsikere (population, 3,565), the head- quarters, Banavar (2,422), and Haranhalli (2,117); and 354 villages. The land revenue demand in 1903-4 was Rs. 1,62,000. The surface is very undulating. In the west is a chain of rocky hills, covered with scrub jungle. In the north are the Hirekalgudda hills, on which is the temple of Malekal Tirupati. The drainage is northwards to the Vedavati river, but there are few streams or tanks.
In the south are several Amrit Mahal grazing-grounds, and a good stamp of cattle is bred, which is in some demand in the Malnad. The prevailing soil is grey and stony. Rdgl is grown everywhere, while in the west and south chillies are largely cultivated for the Malnad. Coco-nuts allowed to remain on the tree till they drop, called kobri, are much prized, and are exported to Tiptur for the Bangalore and Bellary markets. They are grown in the north in low-lying ground without irrigation.