This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Town in the Walajapet taluk of North Areot District, Madras, situated in 13 5' N. and 79 40' E. It has sprung into importance only since it became a railway junction. Here the north- west and south-west lines of the Madras Railway meet, and here also is the terminus of the branch of the South Indian Railway which runs from the main line at Chingleput. Population (1901), 5,313, many of whom are railway employes. The town is a Union under the Local Boards Act, and the head-quarters of a deputy-ta/islldar and sub-magistrate.