This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
A tributary of the Cauvery, in Mysore, about 120 miles long, having its source on Nandidroog, and flowing through Bangalore District from north to south with a slight westerly direction. The Kumud- vati from the west joins it south of Nelamangala, and the Vrishabhavati from Bangalore on the east, north of Kankanhalli. In its upper course are some large tanks, including Hesarghatta, the source of the water- supply of Bangalore. From Savandurga southwards it runs mostly through a wild country, amid rocky hills and forest, and is therefore not much used for irrigation.