This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Village, pass, and shrine in the Shencottah taluk of Travancore State, Madras, situated in 8° 59' N. and 77 9' E., in a circular valley about a mile from the head of the pass, 54 miles from Trivandrum, 50 from Quilon, and about 50 from Tinnevelly. Popula- tion (1901), about 1,000. The principal line of road from Tinnevelly via Shencottah into Travancore passes by this village, as also does the Tinnevelly-Quilon Railway. The extension of the tea- and coffee- planting industry has increased its importance. It contains a temple of great antiquity dedicated to Sastha, which is asserted to have been built by Parasu Rama. It lies in -a hollow surrounded by hills. The whole of the pass, about 18 miles in length, presents a succession of grand forest scenery.