This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
A small isolated pargana belonging to Indore State but situated in the Bundelkhand Agency, Central India, with an area of 37 square miles, lying round the town of Alampur (26° 2' N. and 78 50' E.). The pargana was formed in 1766 when Malhar Rao Holkar, the founder of the house of Indore, died suddenly at the village of Alampur. To provide for the up-keep of his last resting- place 27 villages were obtained from the neighbouring chiefs of Gwalior, Datia, Jalaun, and Jhansi, and their revenues devoted to this purpose.
The Rajput chiefs, from whom the villages were probably taken by force, were long opposed to the erection of the dead Maharaja's cenotaph, and destroyed it several times when but partially complete ; finally, however, with the support of Sindhia, the work was finished. The pargana is managed directly from Indore, and yields a revenue of Rs. 59,000. The population in 1901 was 16,711, compared with 17,038 in 1891. There are now 26 villages in the pargana. The largest is Alampur, also called Malharnagar, with a population (1901) of 2,843. A school, a dispensary, and a British post office are situated there.