This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Northern taluk of Akola District, Berar, lying be- tween 20 degree 55' and 21 degree 15' N. and 76 degree 47" and 77 degree 15' E., with an area of 517 square miles. The population hardly varied at all between 1891 and 1901, the census enumeration being 137,720 in the former and 137,683 in the later year. The density, 266 persons per square mile, is the highest in the District and, with the exception of the Ellichpur taluk (311), the highest in the Province. The taluk contains 228 villages and two towns, Akot (population, 18,252), a municipality and the head-quarters of the taluk, and Hiwarkhed (6,143). The demand for land revenue in 1903-4 was Rs. 6,12,000, and for cesses Rs. 48,000.
The taluk lies in the fertile valley of the Puma river, which bounds it on the south. On the north it is bounded by the Gawilgarh hills ; and a sharp curve in this northern boundary line includes in the taluk the old fort of Narnala, situated on the southern range of these hills. The village of Argaon, the site of Sir Arthur Wellesley's victory over the Marathas on November 29, 1803, lies 7 miles to the west of Akot. The taluk is well watered by streams flowing southwards from the Gawilgarh hills into the Purna ; but the area of irrigated land is, as elsewhere in Berar, insignificant.