This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
A large market in the Habeganj subdivision of Sylhet District, Assam, situated in 24 degree 33' N. and 91 degree 15' E., on the banks of the Surma river. Population (1901), 583. It is an important centre of trade, the chief exports being rice, dried fish, bamboos, and mats, and the imports, grain, oil, salt, tobacco, sugar, and piece-goods.
Trade is carried on largely by country boats, though the village is a place of call for river steamers.