This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Town in the Chunar tahsil of Mirzapur District, United Provinces, situated in 25 degree 1' N. and 83 degree 3' E., 12 miles south-east of Chunar. Population (1901), 11,328. Ahraura was formerly an impor- tant trade centre, being the most southerly limit of cart traffic on the road from the railway to the south of the District and to Surguja State. Besides the through trade, which has fallen off owing to the establish- ment of other markets, there are local industries in sugar-making and the manufacture of lacquered toys.
Tasar or wild silk was formerly woven here ; but this industry is almost extinct, though silk thread is still made. The town contains a dispensary and two schools. It is administered under Act XX of 1856, with an income of about Rs. 4,000. A short distance away, in the village of Belkhara, is an inscription of Lak- hana Deva, the last king of Kanauj, which, though dated in 1196, com- pletely ignores the conquest by the Muhammadans a few years earlier 1 .