This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Taluka of Ahmadnagar District, Bombay, lying between 18 degree 47' and 19 degree 19' N. and 74 degree 32' and 75 degree 2' E., with an area of 624 square miles. There are two towns, Ahmadnagar (popu- lation, 35,784), the District and taluka head-quarters, and Bhingar (5,722); and 117 villages, including Jeur (5,005).
The population in 1901 was 128,094, compared with 124,300 in 1891. The density, 205 persons to the square mile, is the highest in the District. The demand for land revenue in 1903-4 was 1.7 lakhs, and for cesses Rs. 13,500. The taluka is for the most part a high table-land, lying between the Godavari and the Bhima. The northern and eastern sides of the table-land are lofty and precipitous, but on the west and south the country is less broken.
land the Sina flows in a south-easterly direction towards its junction with the Bhima. The taluka is very scantily wooded, and the soil is generally poor, save in a few ol the minor valleys where rich reddish soil occurs. The climate is healthy, notwithstanding the moderate rainfall, which averages about 22 inches a year; but it is on the whole less favourable than that of Shevgaon on the east.