This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
North central tahsil of Agra District, United Pro- vinces, conterminous with the pargana of the same name, lying between 27 degree 3' and 27 degree 17' N. and 77 degree 51' and 78 degree 13' E., with an area ol 202 square miles. Population increased from 272,718 in 1891 to 291,044 in 1901. There are 140 villages and one town, Agra City (population, 188,022), the District and tahsil head-quarters.
The demand for land revenue in 1903-4 was Rs. 2,24,000, and for cesses Rs. 30,000. The density of population, 1,441 persons per square mile, is more than double the District average, owing to the inclusion of the city. On the north and east the Jumna forms the boundary, bordered by a fringe of ravines, usually extending a mile from the river.
The ravines, though barren, produce valuable grass used for making thatch and rope, and also form grazing-grounds. In the lowlands near the river, melons and other vegetables are grown. The greater part of the tahsil is a level upland, with a well-marked depression in the west. In 1903-4 the area under cultivation was 151 square miles, of which 60 were irrigated. The Agra Canal supplies about one-third of the irrigated area, and wells serve most of the remainder. In a few places the subsoil water is brackish.