This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts.Many units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Town in the Chopda taluka of East Khandesh District, Bombay, situated in 21 degree 13' N. and 75 degree 28' E. Population (1901), 5,983, including many Tadvi Bhils. It was once a place of some con- sequence, the head-quarters of a taluka. The site of the old offices is now occupied by a schoolhouse, and the people are fast carting away the earth of the ruined fort in the centre of the town.
A school for boys has 152 pupils. Among the obyects of interest is a fine old stone-and-mortar step-well, 30 feet by 12, in a ruined enclosure known as the Lal Bagh ('red garden'). To the north of the town is a mosque, built, according to an inscription on one of the steps, in 1678. Three miles to the north-west are the Unabdev hot springs.