This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts. Some units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Eastern township of Magwe District, Upper Burma, lying between 20° o and 20° 19' N. and 95° 13' and 95° 51' E., with an area of 403 square miles. The eastern portion of the township, watered by the Yin, lies low, and is extensively cultivated with rice. The western resembles the Myingun township, in so far as it has a dry soil on which only millet and sesamum are grown. The population was 33,994 in 1891, and 42,925 in 1901, distributed in 125 villages. Myothit (population, 1,638), on the Yin river, about 35 miles due east of Magwe, is the head-quarters. In 1903-4 the area cultivated was 107 square miles, and the land revenue and thathameda amounted to Rs. 6,500.