Myitkyina Subdivision, 1908
This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts. Some units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Eastern subdivision and township of Myitkyina District, Upper Burma, lying between 24° 37' and 25^45 N. and 96° 42' and 98° 20' E., with an area of 4,500 square miles. It comprises the Irrawaddy valley, here of considerable width, and the hills up to the Chinese frontier. Within its geographical limits are the three Kachin Hill Tracts, administered under the Kachin Hill Tribes Regulation by civil officers with head-quarters at Sadon in tlic north-east, Sima in llie south-east, and Mvitkvixa (popula tion, 3,618), the head-quarters of the District and township The population of the township, excluding the first two of these tracts, was 17.5(10 in 1901 : that of the Sadon tract being 14,012, and that of the Sima tract 7,273.
The Myitkyina Hill Tract was not formed till 1904. In the plains, Shans, Burmans, and Kachins arc represented in the ratios of 7, 3, and 1 approximately ; elsewhere the inhabitants are practically all Kachins. In 1901 the subdivision contained 582 villages, of which 477 were in the Kachin Hill Tracts as then constituted. In 1903-4 the area cultivated was 16 square miles, in addition to taungyas. The land revenue and thafhameda amounted to Rs. 46,000.