This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts. Some units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
South-eastern subdivision of Thayetmyo District, Burma, conterminous with the Allanmyo township, and lying to the east of the Irrawaddy, between 18° 55' and 19° 30' N. and 95° 9' and 95° 52' E. It has an area of 912 square miles, and the population was 76,563 in 1891 and 66,672 in 1901. The township contains one town, Allanmyo (population, 10,207), the head-quarters; and 322 villages. The rainfall is precarious, and the large decrease in inhabitants since 1891 is due to emigration to the rich delta Districts of the Irrawaddy Division. About one-eighth of the population are Chins, inhabiting the slopes of the Pegu Yoma, which separates the township on the east from Toungoo District. The township, which is intersected by low hills, contained 85 square miles under cultivation in 1903-4, paying Rs. 63,000 land revenue.