This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts. Some units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Western township of Sagaing District, Upper Burma, lying in the angle formed by the junction of the Irrawaddy and Chin- dwin rivers, between 21° 35" and 21° 52' N. and 95° 12' and 95° 26' E., with an area of 246 square miles. The population was 25,270 in 1891, and 31,497 in 1901, distributed in 79 villages. The head-quarters till recently were at Kyaukyit, on the Nabet stream, a waterway connecting the Irrawaddy and Chindwin, but have now been moved eastwards to Myaung (population, 1,016), on the right bank of the Irrawaddy, about 40 miles west of Sagaing town. The area cultivated in 1903—4 was 96 square miles, and the land revenue and thathameda amounted to Rs. 1,14,200.