This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts. Some units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
(Burmese, Lwe-e). — State in the Myelat division of the Southern Shan States, Burma, lying between 20° 26' and 20° 50 N. and 96° 33' and 96° 41' E., with an area of 200 square miles. It is bounded on the north by Hsamonghkam ; on the east by the Hsihkip dependency of Yawnghwe, and by Namhkai ; on the south by Namhkai ; and on the west by the Yamethin District of Upper Burma. The western portion of the State is hilly, and is watered by affluents of the Panlaung river. The eastern part consists of open rolling downs, and drains into the Nam Pilu. The population in 1901 was 5,442, distri- buted in 70 villages. More than 4,000 of the total were Taungthus, and the rest Danus, Karens, and Shans. Lonpo (population, 249) is the chief village, and the residence of the Ngwegunhmu. The revenue in 1904-5 amounted to Rs. 5,300, and the tribute to the British Government is Rs. 3,000.