This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts. Some units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Township of Tharrawaddy District, Lower Burma, lying between 17° 37' and 18° 10' N. and 95° 26' and 96° 10 E., with an area of 526 square miles. The population in 1901 was 56,098. The eastern portion of the township on the Pegu Yoma is hilly, the western is level and fertile. The head-quarters are at Letpadan Town (population, 8,772), and there are 213 villages. The area cultivated in 1903-4 was 112 square miles, paying Rs. 2,19,000 land revenue.