This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts. Some units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Southern township of the Ngathainggyaung sub- division of Bassein District, Lower Burma, Ipng between 16*^ 54' and 17° 13'^N. and 94° 58 and 95° 20' E., with an area of 370 square miles. The township is low-l)-ing and fertile, and cut up by tidal creeks. It contains 562 villages, and the population was 51,931 in 1891, and 66,951 in 1 90 1. The head-quarters are at Kyaunggon (population, 1,717), on the Daga river, 40 miles north-east of Bassein town. The area cultivated in 1903-4 was 120 square miles, pajnng Rs. 3,38,000 land revenue,