This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts. Some units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Southernmost township of the Upper Chindwin District, Upper Burma, lying between 22° 36' and 23'^ 10 N. and 94° 12' and 94° 2)Z' E., with an area of 800 square miles. The population was 7,316 in 1891, and 9,954 in 1901, distributed in 90 villages, Kyabin (population, 338) being the head quarters. The township lies entirely in the valley of the Taungdwin, which is landlocked, except on the north, and sparsely populated. The area cultivated in 1903-4 was 18 square miles, and the land revenue and thathavieda amounted to Rs. 26,000.