This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts. Some units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
Southern township of Hanthawaddy District, Lower Burma, lying between 16° 19' and 16° 40' N. and 95° 50' and 96° 20' E., with an area of 453 square miles. The township is flat and fertile. It contains 263 villages. The population was 63,585 in 1891 and 71,017 in 1 90 1. The head-quarters are at the village of Kungyangon (popula- tion, 2,789), on the Tawpalwe stream, 5 miles from its mouth. The area cultivated in 1903-4 was 267 square miles, paying Rs, 5,25,000 land revenue.