Eastern township of Shwebo District, Upper Burma, extending from the Irrawaddy to the Mu river, between 22° 38' and 22degree 55' N. and 95 degree 27' and 96 degree o' E., with an area of 244 square miles. It is for the most part a level plain, with a low rainfall. The population was 28,107 in 1 89 1, and 31,499 in 1901, distributed in 120 villages, Kinu (popula- tion, 2,223), about 12 miles north of Shwebo on the railway, being the head-quarters. The area cultivated in 1903-4 was 39 square miles, and the land revenue and thathameda amounted to Rs. 75,900.
This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts. Some units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.