This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts. Some units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
(Burmese, Kyithi Bansati). — State in the eastern division of the Southern Shan States, Burma, lying between 21 degree 48' and 22 degree 15' N. and 97 degree 40' and 98 degree 22' E., with an area of 632 square miles. It is bounded on the north by the Northern Shan States of Hslpaw and South Hsenwi ; on the east by Kenglon, Manglon, and Monghsu ; on the south by Mongnawng and Mbngkiing ; and on the west by Mong- kiing. In early days Kehsi Mansam formed part of North Hsenwi, but was made a Myozaship in i860. The State consists chiefly of open rolling country, nowhere rising to any great height. Around the capital and to the east of it are almost treeless downs. Between the Nam Pang and the border of Manglon are two circles, undulating like the rest, but covered with scrub jungle. To the north and west the downs become low hills, as yet untouched by the taungya cultivator; in the valleys between these hills most of the 'wet' rice of the State is grown. The chief river is the Nam Heng, which separates the State from HsTpaw and joins the Nam Pang. Rice is grown in both irrigated fields and taungyas, the other crops being cotton, tobacco, and sesa- mum. Kehsi Mansam is, however, a commercial rather than an agri- cultural State. A good deal of business is done with Tawngpeng in tea ; and there is a considerable trade in agricultural implements and bamboo hats (the Burmese kamauk), which arc made in the northern part of the State. The population in 1901 was 22,062 (distributed in 378 villages), of whom about 19,500 were Shans, and about 2,500 Yins (Yanglam). Kehsi Mansam (population, CiS), in the western part of the State, on the Nam Heng, is a trading centre of some importance, and was once a large town. The revenue in 1903-4 amounted to Rs. 15,000 (mainly from thatliamcda) ; the chief items of expenditure were Rs. 8,000 tribute to the British Government, Rs. 4,000 general administration charges, Rs. 2,000 privy purse, and Rs. 1,000 public works.