This article has been extracted from
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF INDIA , 1908.
OXFORD, AT THE CLARENDON PRESS.
Note: National, provincial and district boundaries have changed considerably since 1908. Typically, old states, ‘divisions’ and districts have been broken into smaller units, and many tahsils upgraded to districts. Some units have since been renamed. Therefore, this article is being posted mainly for its historical value.
North-western township of Myitkyina District, Upper Burma, lying between 25 degree 30' and 26 degree N. and 96 and 97 degree E., with an area of 2,650 square miles. The population in 1901 was only 9,687, half of whom were Kachins, a fourth Shans, and one-sixth Burmans. It contains 126 villages, of which all but five are in the Kachin Hill Tracts. Kamaing (population, 1,079), where there is a strong military police post, is the head-quarters. In 1903-4 the area cultivated was 600 acres, apart from taungyas ; but the greater part of the township is forest. The land revenue and thathameda amounted to Rs. 5,000.